˜The right of workers to leave their jobs is a test of freedom. Hitler suppressed strikes. Stalin suppressed strikes. But each also suppressed freedom. There are some things worse than strikes, much worse than strikes “ one of them is the loss of freedom.” US Republican President Eisenhower.
˜WE WON’T take away the right to strike™ Australian Howard Government advertisement.
˜Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.
SUBMISSION TO SENATORS August 30 2005
* I analyse 12 major problems with the Building and Construction Industry Improvement Bill (2005), BCII.
* It is a provocation against unions.
* Beware the ˜doublethink”, where ˜lawful industrial action” becomes ˜unlawful”.
* Suppressing the right to strike is serious. 99.76% of building workers’ time is not on strike.
* Great concern for civil liberties is raised anew.
* Academic analysis shows this ˜command and control” over-regulation is the wrong model.
* It is a ˜disturbing precedent for the future of state regulation of labour regulations˜.
* An alternative co-operative model built the Olympic Games.
* Changing the rules of the contest half way through bargaining is not fair.
* Widespread public opposition should be listened to. ˜Am I next?”
* Look at the ILO protection for the right to strike that Australia is supposed to comply with.
* How are these complex details to fit in with the major government plan in October?
* The BCII Bill may reasonably be rejected or be rolled into a likely Senate Inquiry into the main Workplace Relations Act (1996) amendments.
Contact me for the full paper.